There are many good reasons to redesign your campus newspaper (here are a few I discussed earlier). And I was fully convinced at the end of this past semester we needed to redesign our newspaper at Asbury. The difficulty was figuring out how to go about it. Here’s what we ended up doing; and I hope it may help you if this is something you’re thinking about.
1. We determined the extent of the redesign
I did research online, I looked over newspapers students had redesigned and I stalked tabloid design on Newseum. But even with this research and the various conferences I’ve attended on newspaper design, there isn’t much out there explaining how to go about completely redesigning a newspaper. All we could do is dive in – and that’s what we did. Last semester came to an end and I met with the Executive Editor to determine how far we could go with the redesign. We set our goal: a complete revamp, including a new personality, page size, structure and content. We had high hopes, but little idea of how difficult it would be to actually accomplish the task.
2. We put together a team of talented individuals who were dedicated to the project
The team consisted of Jane, the Graphics Editor; Erika, the Layout Editor; Anna, the Executive Editor; and me, the Managing Editor. We would have never finished if it wasn’t for the four of us dedicated to completing this redesign no matter how long it took to complete. And it took a long time, believe me. For some reason I had this idea we could begin and finish the redesign remotely during the summer months. I laugh now when I consider how impossible that would have been. To do something this complex we had to be together. After two months of pathetically trying to get something working remotely, we made the decision to return early to Asbury.
3. We talked – a lot
Granted, the redesign team did comprise entirely of women, but there’s a lot of good that came out of our discussion. The four of us arrived on campus a week before the beginning of class and met in the Collegian office Monday afternoon. We knew we wanted to take the paper from broadsheet to tabloid and from an undefined personality to a very specific personality. Our Graphics Editor did good deal of research over the summer so we mostly spent our time narrowing down our new personality. I love the description we settled on: Dove men’s shampoo. Seriously! It defines our style so well, and it gives us a good chuckle.
4. We spent hours creating a mock-up Collegian
It took the Graphics Editor and Layout Editor many, many hours to create a mock-up of the newspaper in the new tabloid page size. Erika tackled the layout, and since broadsheet layout and tabloid layout is quite different, it took a little getting used to. She worked on incorporating more info boxes, graphics and pictures into the pages. We also played around with layouts you would typically find in a magazine and rarely in a newspaper. It was SO MUCH FUN!!! Jane dedicated her time to figuring out several important details, which I’ll discuss in the list of newspaper elements below.
Jane worked first on the new nameplate. We wanted the nameplate to look more like a logo than our last nameplate and to be flexible so it could go at the top, bottom, right or left. I think Jane accomplished this very well. What do you think?
Since our first edition this past Friday, we’ve decided to modify the folio further but I still like it. We just need to change the location of the page number so it’s easier to decipher which page you’re looking at. Thank you, Zach, for pointing this out.
Honestly, we didn’t spend as much time discussing the typefaces since Jane had already completed most of her research over the summer. Headlines and the folio are Steelfish; the body is Arno Pro; and the subheads are Museo. We may introduce more weights as the semester progresses. For now, we’re still testing out these fonts and we’ll see if we need more flexibility.
Previously we ran cutlines directly below the pictures in left alignment. But I’m a big fan of a white box at the lower right corner, which is where we’ve decided to place our cutlines. They are in Helvetica Neue in right alignment.
I feel like pull quotes can easily ruin a layout, but I’m fairly certain our pull quotes don’t fit in that category. They’re fairly simple. The quote is right aligned with white space above, which the eye naturally creates into a box.
5. We communicated the new personality to the newspaper staff
After four days of nonstop design work, we took a break for staff training. The training lasted two days and we dedicated two sessions on Saturday to explaining the new design. Not much, but it helped. And it was so encouraging to see the staff embrace the new personality! We also had the opportunity to learn from Buck Ryan, the creator of the Maestro Concept. I can’t go into all the specifics right now, but there’s a lot we learned from his session and a lot we will continue to develop throughout this year.
6. We did it
Production night came much faster than expected. I encouraged the section editors to arrive early and place the content on the page. When the content was laid out, Erika and I would go through and design the pages while Anna and Courtney edited – at least, that was the plan. It worked for the most part, but we came across many unexpected problems. Let’s just say this past production night was the longest ever! Erika, Anna and I didn’t leave the office until 4:30 a.m. It’s a memory to never forget and, hopefully, never repeat.
If you want to redesign your student newspaper, do it! Seriously. None of us regret all the work put into this project. We’ve had so many students mention how much they like the new paper. Thank you to the amazing Collegian staff who put all this work into the first edition and for the work you will put in for the rest of the year! =) It’s something to be proud of.